Oh hellerrrr gals! What's happening these days? Sorry I've been MIA (I feel like that's how I've started every damn blog post for, like, the last year..oops) but life really does have a way of passing by! I wanted to pop in and do a quick lil touch base with you honeys because I haven't been on here in what feels like FOREVER.
I sat here on my computer today for a little bit looking at a blank page before I closed my laptop not knowing how to start this word vomit post. But then my friend Sorelle from AutumnSorelle.com(go check her out! She is so cool!) posted a "12 Things" blog post, an idea she originally got from the blog queen herself Amber Fillerup, and after reading Sorelle's post I felt like that was the perfect stream of consciousness way to just keep y'all in the loop with what's going on with me and anythings I think you will love or relate to too.
Without further adieu, let's get started.
1. Hayes and I are trying really hard (I mean, not that hard but kinda) to eat a more plant based diet! AKA we eat plant based when we cook together AKA dinner. Which is a great start in the right direction! We used to be so good about being vegetarian but we fell of the wagon when we were eating the same meatless dinners over and over again. It began to feel pretty mundane. But then I recently purchased the Love and Lemons Everyday cookbook and H O L Y S H I T. If you have any interest in eating a more vegetable focused diet, I cannot recommend this enough. We've had the most nutrient packed and flavorful chili, restaurant worthy vegan curry, and what tasted like the most indulgent saucy mushrooms and creamy grits but they were actually HEALTHY. And the cookbook teaches you small things like what produce to purchase by season, how to properly prepare all these different kinds vegetables, tons of different light salad dressings, scrambles, easy week night pasta dishes and more. We couldn't love this book more! We've cooked out of it every night since we got it and it's been amazing!
2. I turn 25 this week! Kinda crazy realizing that I am no longer in my early twenties and I am OFFICIALLY entering mid/late twenties *incessant gagging.* I have no big birthday plans- just how I like it! I'm not a huge birthday party kinda gal so I think my sis and I will get massages in the AM and then have my parents and Hayes come meet us down in Laguna for lunch, cocktails, and a beach day.
3. I have found so many good Amazon finds recently! Y'all know I have zero reservations (well maybe one or two but like those ever hold me back- real talk) about spending a pretty penny on clothes. Madeworn band tees are my absolute fave, I have three or four of them I think but oh my god they're expensive for a holey "vintage" band tee! As much as I love them, I just cannot always justify spending that much on a t-shirt. So I found some great vintagey looking ones on Amazon (my faves are here, here, here, and here). I also just ordered two pairs of earrings that I love too (these and these)!
4. I am getting super excited about upcoming travel! Hayes and I are so lucky to have some killer travel opportunities coming up- and mostly for weddings which is like the most fun ever. My bestie gal Megan from Our Little Bungalow is getting married in a month in gorgeous Malibu and we couldn't be more stoked. And then my college bff Caitlin from Cooking With Caitlin is getting married in Santa Barbara in November. And thennnn my other college bestie Kelli (not a blogger like all my other friends, just a super amazing human being who I love endlessly) is getting married in Dallas in January! Oh no, but the party doesn't stop there, babies! In July, we go to Stockholm for a wedding for my friend Cecilia, and then Europe again toward the end of the summer to see my best friend/Italy roommate Holland from Holland Smith Styling get married on the Amalfi Coast, AND THENNNN we go to Mississippi in October to see Hayes' cousin Mariah get married. So I mean, no plans really *panic attack slowly arises.*
5. I've found a new podcast that I love. Surprise, surprise - it's definitely about murder. But not only murder- PARANORMAL SHIT TOO. Which I am a total sucker for. The podcast is called And That's Why We Drink and it's two funny gals talking about the stupid things that made them hit the bottle this week and then Em tells a paranormal story whether its a haunted house, an alien sighting, a cryptozoology story, etc and Christine tells a true crime story. These girls are hysterical and they brighten my day in the darkest of ways. They were especially wonderful to listen to while Karen and Georgia from My Favorite Murder were away on summer vacay but now that they're back I have even more to listen to! Three cheers for murder (not really)!
6. HBO's Euphoria has really inspired my makeup game. Don't be surprised if y'all see me on the timeline looking like Cassie or Jules from Euphoria. Turquoise shadow and glitter for daysssss.
7. I'm trying hard-ish to relearn Italian. I was so incredibly passionate about learning Italian while in college and it kinda makes me sad to think I am not nearly as comfortable speaking it anymore. Like, I have a hard time remembering how to even order at a restaurant- eeeek! My second summer in Italy, I could chat chat chat away with locals (wine greatly increased my ability- absolutely no shame in this game) and then fast forward to three years later when Hayes and I were honeymooning in Italy and he was SO excited to see me in my element. And then when the time came I got all awkward and would just speak english to people. Lame af. So I am trying to fix that!
8. Going back to my plant based diet, I'm starting to actually develop a distaste of meat. It's crazy! I still love a lot of meat and I don't think I'll ever truly be a total vegetarian or vegan but I'm just noticing that the smell of cooking meat is kinda grossing me out. And I used to really love steak but now I can only have bite or two before it's too much for me. I just find it kinda weird/really cool how your body develops a certain way after you've adjusted your diet. It's pretty amazing!
9. I'm trying to not give a fuck about what I look like naked. No, seriously. I am so over obsessing over my weight and eating a salad when I want some god damn nachos, okay?! Of course, I can't go too hard and have to consider health (ugh) but if I have a craving, I've decided not to deny myself. But maybe I should take up boxing again haha
10. I bought my second pair of Golden Goose sneakers and I couldn't be more obsessed. My pink sparkle ones are cute as hell but hard to wear in the colder months. I just got these insanely cute leopard pony hair ones with a cobalt blue back on them. And my friend Caro from Currently Caro (seriously- how is it possible that everybody I know is a blogger? It's nuts but I also freakin' love this community) told me a fun little secret- buy sparkle laces in a bunch of different colors on amazon and your GGs will always match your outfit. So that is exactly what I did and you can buy the same ones I did here.
11. I am so ready for summer to be over. I like summer for like a solid 3 weeks and then August rolls around and its so hot and we don't have AC and I can't take it anymore. I go to the beach like 5 times, lay out for an hour or two a week, and then I check it off my list. I think I am meant to live somewhere with cooler weather.
12. I am ready for a change. It's so weird- I love my job, my family, my friends, my apartment, my cat, my husband, everything! But I am itching for something NEW to come in and shake things up. I am so ready for a new experience. A new chapter to enjoy fully and openly with Hayes. But no babies. Please don't put that juju on me.