5 Fun Ways to Switch Up Your Routine When You're In A Funk
November 7, 2017
With the weather changing (which I love double love), sometimes I get in a bit of a funk. Not mentally or emotionally, but physically I just feel BLAH. You know the kind.... right about this time of year is when your roots come out to play, spray tans take a back seat, barre class is meh because oversized sweaters are in season so your tummy is hidden, and honestly who has a time for pedicures or clean shaven legs when boots and jeans are all you need? That kind of funk. I know it seems like the obvious fix to just go and get these things done, but once you check off the list once, it has to creep back around within the next few days/month and can get pretty repetitive and feel more like chores than self care. Here is how I keep my grooming routine fun and help me feel brand new:
1) When getting my hair done, I always get the same thing. Trim my bangs, freshen up my layers, and bleach the living you know what out of my roots. But asking your hair dresser to play up your touch up with a killer blow out or long lasting waves makes your next few days a breeze with the help of dry shampoo. So give yourself that 20 minutes of sleep and skip the suds and dry shampoo your blow out instead for fresh hair for days!
When you can't make it to the salon, head to a blowout bar like Drybar (check out my post with Drybar here... I had the best time ever)for a fresh wash and 'do. Going somewhere that specializes in fresh looks is a great way to give you a few days of killer hair.
2) I recently got my acrylic nails removed so my nails are paper thin, but one thing I loved doing was picking out a fresh color and even a sleek and sophisticated design.Say bye to the same color over and over again and think outside of the box for your mani pedi.
3) Spray tans are a thing of God, honestly. Me, being a total hater of exercise (please see bullet point #4 for more info on that), my life motto is, "if you can't tone it, tan it" and not going to lie, it really has kind of sort of worked for me... ish maybe? *shrug*.
Anywho... even if I am the only person who thinks that its working for me, there is something so magical about how amazing everybody looks with a good spray tan (keyword: good). But the downfall of the spray tan is avoiding water for AT LEAST 8 hours... hell nah, this girl has things to do. That is why I love fast acting tanners like Coola Suncare that set within two hours and have amazing ingredients that seriously love on your skin. They also have the most incredible self tanning face serum that smells like oranges! I will forever be a fan of the classic St. Tropez mousse for when I am feeling dedicated to the tan or plan on showing my legs off (obviously have to have that penciled in, like, a week in advance) or their gradual formula for days I have to meet clients or go into work and I don't want to look like I'm fresh out of a tanning booth. Self tanning is definitely one of my favorite ways to get a quick pick me up and there are tons of easy and accessible ways to do so. But remember, SAY NO TO TANNING BEDS.
yes, this is me with a spray tan. yes, I am still pastey white.
4) Exercise and I don't even have a love hate relationship. It's more like "why are we even pretending this is a thing and can we just stop this whole thing now" relationship. So let me make this clear, if I can do an exercise class, you can to. I love Pure Barre so much. I really love it. It's fun, it's challenging, it's really beneficial and you can see some pretty incredible results (as long as you don't eat like me, which is a diet of coffee ice cream, chardonnay, and fish tacos) from it. I'm currently in a bit of an exercise rut and looking down at my tummy right now, I think I'll sign up for a Pure Barre class tomorrow. You just feel good after a workout, ya know?
But what I'm really trying to do, is try a bunch of different workouts. I've never done pilates, which basically makes me the only person in Orange County who hasn't. Same goes for spin. And kick boxing. I want to try fun new things while keeping a consistent work out that I know I love and see results from. Also, I have no pictures to show you because like I said, exercise isn't my thing. BUT IT WILL BE! And also I'm not that extra to bring a photographer with me to a workout class. Almost that extra, but not quite.
5) I really get into my skin care. It is a sacred part of my day and I really enjoy researching clean, cruelty free products to love on my skin and nourish it. Weekly, I try to give my skin a mini facial to keep it healthy, hydrated, and decongested. I take the time to lay out all of my products, turn on nice music, and give my skin the respect it deserves. If only I could do the same for the rest of my organs *sigh*.
Here are my steps for squeaky clean skin:
- Get your faucet running to hot, hot, hot and lay a wash cloth down in your sink (if your sink is dirty, don't lay your wash cloth down you sicko)
- While the water is heating up, take a scoop of coconut oil and melt it in your hands and rub all over your face. Coconut oil is a fabulous natural makeup remover and doesn't strip your skin of it's natural oils.
- Take that piping hot wash cloth, ring it out, and lay it over your face and let the remaining steam help the coconut oil's nutrients be absorbed by your skin. After about thirty seconds, wipe away the remaining coconut oil.
- Next, I use a glycolic cleanser and mix in a itsy bitsy bit of face scrub and cleanse my face, making sure to get the sides of my nose and my chin. Rinse.
- After that, I apply one of two masques. If my skin is being problematic, I use a charcoal clarifying masque that helps draw out impurities. If my skin is dry, I use a gel masque that adds a ton of much needed moisture to my dry skin. Let sit for 10-15 minutes. Rinse.
- Lastly, I apply a vitamin C serum and a water-based moisturizer. You'll be tempted to touch your baby smooth skin but don't unless you wash your hands thoroughly first!
Look at that happy and squeaky clean skin!!!
What do you do when you're feeling funky? Any suggestions? Reach out to me!