One Year of Using Clip In Extensions And This Is What I've Learned
December 3, 2017
Like most everybody in the Instagram/blogging world, I am o b s e s s e d with Amber Fillerup Clark from Barefoot Blonde. She has the cutest fam, a rockin' bod, travels to amazing places, and has the most amazing hair and styles it SO amazingly well. She makes it look so easy to style hair when I can't even braid my own damn head. So when she came out with her extension line around the holidays last year, BFB Hair, I had to get in on it. I mean, I knew they would look amazing in my blog pictures, especially for what was my up and coming wedding (and I love supporting other bloggers). Anything for the 'gram right?
So when I got them, I legit wore them every day. EVERY. DAMN. DAY. I was clipping in 8+ wefts of thick, platinum blonde, almost waist length hair. And then I had to style them. It made my usually pretty quick 30 minute beauty routine turn into a lengthy almost hour and a half stylign extravaganza. It was a lot of work. But I learned a lot about extensions, and so I'm sharing my tips with you here!
1) Find an extension line that works for your budget, but know that good ones don't come cheap. This is the reason I love Amber's line. For extensions, they are reasonably priced, beautifully packaged, and they are real hair not synthetic. Which is what you want because that way you can style how ever you want without the fear that they will melt. Nobody wants that.
2) Play around with how to place them on your head. Not everybody has the same hair or shape of head so it makes it reasonable to assume that because your friend places them a certain way, doesn't mean you should necessarily put them in the same way! Try out a few different ways and remember: you don't have to use all of them all the time! Use what looks natural and doesn't show the clips. Pro tip: if you are using your extensions with freshly cleaned hair, lightly tease your roots and spray with texturizing spray or light hold hair spray so your hair has something to grab on to when clipping in your extensions!
3) Don't be afraid to trim them if you want a fuller look rather than a long locks. But don't do it yourself, bring them to a professional!
4) Similar to trimming your extensions, don't color them or even use purple shampoo without consulting the extension line first! Most extension lines include a tester weft in your package. The color on my extensions is everrrr so slightly warmer than I wanted to I took the tester weft and tried purple shampoo on it and it turned hot pink! Thank goodness I didn't try and wash my whole kit because I would have been left with some crazy color hair. That tester weft is your best friend, use it!
5) Speaking of washing, you don't need to wash your extensions....like rarely ever. It isn't like normal hair, because we produce oil so therefore our hair gets dirty. Our extensions aren't connected into our scalp so they don't get dirty anywhere as fast. I recommend one wash every 2 months if you wear them at least one a week just so you can get any product you may have used or any sweat out.
6) Don't wear them every day because they can cause breakage and serious damage to your hair. Back when I was wearing them every damn day, my hair stylist noticed some breakage going on and urged me to only wear them for special occasions. Now instead of feeling like a chore, I love putting them in and styling them especially with all the fun holiday parties coming up.
Long story short, I love my extensions and I always recommend them. But please remember that your natural hair is more important and deserves to be taken care of so it is good to give it a break every once in awhile.